Welcome to Tauranga
Tauranga is one of New Zealand's main centers for business, fashion, horticulture and international trade.
A location of great historical importance for the first tribes of this land and a former military settlement, Tauranga has much to offer with its stories of the past.
Some of the locations you will have the opportunity to visit include:
- the Military Redoubt
- the Elms Mission House and Gardens
- Historic Waterfront Locations
Hear the tales of how the Maori crossed the Pacific Ocean in the Arawa Canoe and learn about the battles between the natives and the European colonists. This interesting and educational audio guide delves into Tauranga’s centuries-old history and legends. Your Tour. Your Way.
- 1. Walk along the Strand and explore the various shops and restaurants that you can find there
- 2. The Elms Mission is an historic home with a lovely garden, interesting buildings and a fascinating history.
- 3. Modern and highly professional, the Tauranga Art Gallery shows a range of local, curated and travelling exhibitions.
- 4. Monmouth Redoubt is a charming place overlooking the sea and Strand waterfront and was the first Māori fortifified site in New Zealand